Barbara Bush primly sat in my makeup chair dressed in a cream suit that resembled Chanel at it’s best. Her perfectly coiffed silver hair needing no touching up, and her matching cream handbag stayed in her lap, primed for necessity. She reminded me of the Queen of England. Her family, including her daughter, some grandchildren, and a few minions, formed a large entourage that chatted happily with each other and the tense crew on the CNN set. We were filming with Wolf Blitzer in a posh Washington, DC, hotel, where the waiters served tea and cookies to the happy mob.
Having worked in live television and made up many a famous person, not much rattles me, except Barbara Bush. I needed to make her look like herself; polished, pretty, and an unnoticeable but crucial amount of makeup for the camera. Making up women over 50 has become my forte, and now that I am 50, an important part of my daily life.
Here are my suggestions for anyone over 50:
- It’s all about SKIN! My favorite skin care is The Truth made by Benjamin Fuchs. I love it because it is made with 100% active and functional ingredients, no fillers, waxes, emulsifiers, oils or fragrances. I use Truth Serum morning and night (only 1-2 drops is needed,) and Truth Balm at night. If I have any skin irritation or excessive dryness I use his Omega 6 Healing Cream, and once a week I put on his 5% Retinol Gel. The Retinol is powerful, infused with 5% Vitamin A (Retinol) and has supreme anti-aging properties. With continued use, I have noticed a dramatic improvement in my skin! People even comment on it, and I recommend it to all my clients.
- Go LIGHT on the foundation! My favorite is Chanel’s Vita Lumiere-Aqua. Generally, I only use it where it’s needed-in the “T” zone of the face.
- Cover up! Concealer can look heavy fast, so I am careful to place it on the inner curve where the eye meets the nose, and maybe slightly lower if there is any purple/blue undertones with Laura Mercier secret concealer.
- COLOR! Depending on the clients’ undertones, I apply a healthy amount of either a peachy or pinky color on their cheeks and brow bone, and a warm bronzer under the cheekbone and on the forehead with MAC Cosmetics blush and bronzer. For the eyes I go with neutral shades and complimentary eyeliner and in the water line, but I always smooth out the lined look with a brush and soft eye shadow on top of the eye. I recommend LIPBAR waterproof liners. A bright lipstick finishes the face.
- Take Omega 3 and 6 oils. Taking more oils greatly improves not only your skin, but also your digestion and overall health. I take 2 tablespoons of Udo’s Oils every morning, and have noticed a considerable improvement in my skins health and glow.
If you’re over 50, laugh more and lighten up on everything, including makeup!